Friday, November 21, 2014

Love's many forms

A whimsical poem, and something more....

Rickety Table

Rickety table
a faithful friend,
always last to be chosen
by others,
but always there for me.
Your wobbly round top, atop
an unsteady post, teetering.
Your cherry wood chipped
stained finish flaking
coffee-stained rings replace.
Your imperfections allow me to love
what would otherwise be
an easy job.




Untitled

The woman who read books turned upside down.
The woman who played scrabble outside the borders
            because completing a fun word is more important.
The woman who taught herself to throw knives.
The woman whose voice brings me to tears.
The woman who thought my humor was hilarious.
The woman who wore fairy wings and flew at me.
The woman who spoke to me in fluent Elvish.
The woman who helped me understand advanced electrodynamics.
The woman whose leg was shattered by an improvised explosive device
            and said to me the scars were nothing.






Requiescat (circa 1997)

I starve myself
and what a blissful fast it is.
I drink not your dark eyes
nor taste such delicate lips.
( do they melt warm on mine like caramel? )
It is for absolution I pay,
            and pray in my solitude--
waiting.
            Your gaze the wine,
            your touch the bread.

What dark sin have I
that I should kneel so,
bowing before Athena.
O, goddess of Wisdom and War, I feel your conflict--
take my anguish, take my head!
            relieve me of my famished pang.

I pace and wear a canyon in the Earth,
my screams of hunger
echo in the void.
Why not eat then as to die?
Because my death
            or desire
will only happen once;
            Rather I await the fruit of Ambrosia
            than the flower of the Bittersweet.




.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment